Saturday, July 20, 2013

Them 16: The Nightlanders

Let's get this out of the way right now: these guys look like shadows and they organize shit. You may be thinking: well, that's fucking stupid. What are they going to do, organize my house?

Well, yes. They will organize your house and your internal organs along with it. They will move things according to their own Eldritch Feng Shui and if that means suddenly your lungs are now two inches to the right and you can't breath, well, tough shit.

That used to be all the information I had on them -- sparse, right? But I found this journal during my travels written by a town hall record-keeper.

The shadows have moved things again. I know it was them. There are more shadows here today then there were yesterday. Shades of shades. Are they ghosts? Shadows of dead men come to haunt me in my golden years?
[...]
They make patterns in the dust. They move the cabinets and the curtains and the books and I can see there is a special pattern to them. It is not random. There is a method. There is a pattern.
[...] 
The pattern is life. They are spelling out the entirety of life for me to record. Their patterns hold secrets that have been lost for millenia. Information that was never recorded before, information they are giving me. I am their records-keeper.
[...] 
They are showing me such wondrous things.
[...] 
I can't stay here much longer. This place is too empty for me, too lacking. I need more patterns. The shadows are showing me a way, a way to a place of where the patterns are complete. Where the information flows.
They will bring me to a land of perpetual motion and eternal night.

I don't know what became of the record-keeper (even his name is lost -- it's scratched out completely in the journal), but I assume he either died or became one of the few servants of the Nightlanders. Let's hope it is the former.

No comments:

Post a Comment